Saturday, January 22, 2011

Orange-Miso Glazed Salmon

Tonight I decided to try a glazed salmon. The recipe sounded great, but I wasn't sure if I was up for the level of difficultly I thought it entailed.  I am happy to report it was SUPER easy!!! The worst part was trying to find white miso in Waukesha, Wi. 
Apparently Pick 'n Save doesn't feel the need to stock it! I found myself staring into space in the Asian food section for about 10 minutes until another shopper, standing next to me, had the same bewildered look... I said "you aren't looking for white miso are you??" he laughed and said "yes" too funny. After looking for a few more minutes and wandering the store we came to the consensus that they just don't have it.... my next stop was Good Harvest Market per his suggestion. Score, they every have 5 choices of miso!

Here is the recipe from  Jan/Feb 2011 Cook's Illustrated

Salmon and Dry Rub
1 1/2-2 lb salmon cut into 4 pieces
1/2 tsp salt
1/4tsp cornstarch
1tsp light brown sugar
1tsp oil
1tsp black pepper

Orange-Miso Glaze

1/4 cup fresh OJ and 1tsp zest (I added extra)
2tbs white miso
1tbs rice vinegar
1tbs light brown sugar
1tbs whole grain mustard
3/4tsp cornstarch
pinch of cayenne

Here is a basic breakdown of the steps:

1. Preheat oven to 300
2. Mix dry rub ingredients
3. After patting dry the salmon apply dry rub to flesh side

4. Mix all the glaze ingredients in a small sauce pan and whisk on Med/High until it boils, while doing this place oil in oven safe skillet and bring to a high heat.

5. Place Salmon in hot oil flesh side down for about 1 min, flip....
6. After another minute turn off the heat, flip exposing the flesh side of the salmon.  Spoon on glaze and place in the preheated oven for 7-10min.



Done! How easy was that!!?? I would make this again any day, total cooking time including prep was about 20 min!


No comments:

Post a Comment