Sunday, February 6, 2011

First Waukesha Foodie Dinner

I have to be honest, I debated for several weeks about whether or not I should attend the foodie dinner that George ("too kool or just a fool" blogger), was setting up. I knew I would be going into it not knowing anyone, I had never been to Peking House, and the menu posted on George's blog was a bit intimidating, the whole thing felt much like a blind date.
I am happy to report I met awesome people and sampled about 15 amazing dishes!

Here was the menu George had posted on his blog several weeks ago:

WALK ON THE WILD SIDE:

P.11 Pork intestine and Pork Blood Cake-Spicy

P.24 Stir-fried Kidneys


IN NAME ONLY

(Ants Up a Tree)

(Clay pot with Lion's Head)

(Mad Woman's Tofu)-Spicy


SAFE FOR NON MEAT EATERS

V.24 Peapod Leafs with Garlic sauce

V.03 String Bean Szechuan Style-Spicy


REGULAR STUFF

A04 Sliced Tender Pork with Garlic Sauce

A06 Unusual Seasoning Chicken-Appetizer-Spicy

H02 Seafood Tofu Casserole

And I think there might have been more!!! I tried everything, when in Rome.....









In this photo is the "ants up a tree" a cellophane style noodle with bits of pork (ants) scattered throughout. Pea leaves with garlic, simple and excellent! And a bit of the seafood stew(soup) that wasn't on the planned menu. It was spicy, packed full of catfish, shrimp, scallops, and I believe squid. This dish was a favorite amongst the group as well.









Seafood/Fish stew.










Seafood Tofu casserole.

This is the end of my photos of food, as a newbie to the group I didn't want to be the obnoxious photo happy girl, next time I'll be more prepared.

The other menu items were also excellent as well.

The kidneys were very tender and mixed very well with the spicy sauce from the mad woman tofu (my favorite dish).

I was a huge fan of the green beans as well. We did manage to finish all of them :) and the pea leaves.

There was also a chicken dish, I was too full to try anything else, but people seemed to enjoy it.

The final surprise was the dessert, red bean balls.



















A yummy warm, sweet paste like ball with red bean paste in the middle and coated with sesame seeds and deep fried!!! Oh yes these rocked!

Brien, a local blogger, also took photos of the evening which I look forward to seeing. He ended the night with a fireworks display! I'm sure onlookers from the restaurant thought we were crazy, but it was a perfect ending!!!
















How will the D Mo's foodie dinner top this evening?? Time will tell.
Thank you again George for starting this dinner group!!!

Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

3 comments:

  1. I'm really sorry I missed it but hope I can make the next one! The food looked great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were out of Lion head (meatball) and we took out Unusual seasoning chicken for a new dish called Numbing Spicy Chicken. Also a House Fish. I think that was all the dishes I ordered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome review. It was nice to meet you Kelly!

    ReplyDelete