Sunday, February 13, 2011

Spanakopita aka Greek Spinach Pie

I love Spanakopita. I love it for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. I love it as a passed appetizer at a party, as a side dish, or as an entree, so it's about time I learn how to make it!!

I made it for the first time Thursday night. Followed a Cook's Illustrated recipe, liked it but didn't love it (though others did).

I decided to try it again to and also make it a bit healthier; I can see it being a great new addition to my normal dinner routine.

Here is my version of Spanakopita.

Step 1. Thaw a package of frozen phyllo dough in the fridge overnight or on the counter for 4-5 hours.

Step 2. Take 3 bags of fresh baby spinach and place in large glass mixing bowl.






Place in the microwave for 7 minutes on high with a plate on top.







Step 3. Start the rest of the filling. In a large mixing bowl, mix 2 eggs, 16oz's of fat free crumbled feta (which is on sale this week at the Pick), 1/2c of fat free cottage cheese, 3 cloves of minced/pressed garlic, 1/2 tsp frah grated nutmeg, half a 4oz container of the fresh dill and mint, you can get in the produce section of the grocery store, rough chopped, 1/2 of a lemons juice and zest, salt, & fresh cracked black pepper.





Step 4. Squeeze all the water out of the wilted spinach. I place it in a colander and press it with my hands. Once "dry" add to the filling and incorporate into filling.

Step 5. Preheat oven to 350. Grab your largest glass or metal baking pan, most likely it's a 9x13. Cut parchment paper to a size that is 2 inches larger than the pan, 11x15 for instance. (this will help in the removal of the "pie" once baked)

Step 6. Unroll the phyllo very carefully, treat it like your Grandma's favorite glass Christmas ornament. Place a damp kitchen towel over it to keep moist. If it does crack no big deal, I'll show you my solution for that.

Step 7. Place one sheet of phyllo in the pan. Lightly spray it with a butter flavor kitchen spray, I used a garlic butter spray from work, but any butter spray or real melted butter will work. Repeat this process 6 times!!! Building a nice base for your filling.

Step 8. Evenly distribute the filling onto the phyllo leaving 3/4 of an inch border.






Step 9. Repeat step 7 with all the remaining phyllo, approximately 12 sheets. And if you have broken sheets save them for the top, I place them on top in a free form artistic fashion and throw some dill on top for appearance.





Finally, bake at 350 for aprox 25 minutes or until golden brown.








Let cool and remove from the pan by pulling the parchment paper up on each side.

Cut into desired portions, I found a pizza cutter makes a great "knife" for this pie. I serve it hot or cold.

Overall this was fairy easy to make. It's healthy too, it is half veggies, right?? :)

Enjoy!









No comments:

Post a Comment